Monday, August 27, 2007

 

ADHD today...

I heard this over the weekend. One Pediatrician has 50% of their patients on ADHD meds. It seems like everyone has it. Why?

1. I believe that as kids many of us "had it", but it was not something diagnosed unless it was really disruptive, and then as something else.

2. As kids we respected and obeyed our parents (I feared my dad's belt). So at home we managed to control ourselves best we could.

3. Back then, kids could be well, kids.. We played outside a bunch. we did not worry about being kidnapped. our parents gave us more freedoms.

4. now that the meds are avail, the thinking is, it works, so why not. why would you not give your kids the meds. Many believe that without meds, you cannot control it with therapy. Well I have never had meds, and I believe I have/had it, but I am ok in society. Also I read that if you give a non ADHD kid meds, they will also perform better at school and concentration. So it works on everyone. Why not just give meds to all the US kids to make them perform their best (being scarcastic here)

5. lack of sleep and too much overstimulation on today's kids. Between computers, video games, tv, and millions of activities, we are over stimulating our kids. I am guilty as everyone else. Also there are sleep issues. Kids are going to school earlier and staying up later to keep up with their busy lives.

Can you believe that yesterday , other than sunday school, the kids did not leave the house. Alyssa mostly played. Jack, well he prefered the TV. But I did make him turn it off at times. I have to be stricter with that. he watches way too much TV. No more. We had an issue with his behavior at baseball . once again, doesnt listen to other people. We could have gone places, but didnt. Alyssa actually was pretty well behaved. Today she will be a nightmare!
She could no get to sleep and could not get up this morning. I know I am in for it.

I am happy that swimming ends this week. I have 2 curriculum nights, plus jack has baseball (will miss tonight). Every night until friday is crazy this week. I am happy that we dont have activities on thursday yet. We dont have anything really planned for this weekend besides Alyssa's skating competition on sunday. I have to learn to take it easy .

Over the weekend we had some bad storms. Friday night we lost electricity for a while, but we were out for a bit of it. Sat, we were at Stone mountain and were on top and they stopped the tram for a while due to some lightening. But the rain stayed away from there and we managed to see the laser show. It was also felix's company picnic. they did a lot for the kids. For the grownups they had beer. My company would never do that.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?