Thursday, June 14, 2007

 

gettin to the bottom of the issue...

I finally got to the root of the issue of Alyssa, her sprained/broken body parts, and her obsession with ace bandages.. yesterday morning we had a big war over the ace bandages and that she insisted her hand was broken. I knew better as there was no swelling . Sure, she probably hurt it, but it certainly was not broken. The day before she had "snuck" an ace bandage to camp after I told her not to take it and then told the counselor there that I said she had to wear it. I was furious about the lie/deceit. Later that night I did not take her to the kids club at the health club even though she wanted to go. Also, she put up a big fuss at swim team practice. I almost removed her from the team, since she does like swimming. Anyway, yesterday morning she was fussing again and I sorta blew up. She ended up crying and then sorta locking herself in the bathroom. Finally we had to leave for camp and I gave in about the ace. Well I started to think about this whole thing and when this start, aka when she first sprained her wrist. So I figured we needed to have a really good talk about this.

so yesterday, after camp, I sat her on my lap and we talked about it. I mentioned that she would get hurt before she sprained her wrist, but she also put some ice on it and it was over, even if it still hurt a few days later. Why now is she insisting that its broken/sprained, ever time she hurts something (foot, arm, finger, hand, etc). Well it turns out that she is afraid that is going to really hurt something worse, since she did that first sprain. I explained to her how it took her X years to even get to a sprain and that things just dont break that easily. Also how the wrap really doesnt prevent things from breaking. She then asked what ace bandages are used for then :). I told her for someone her mom's age who needs extra support on their limbs :).

I also talked about how in the beginning she also loved the attention, but now how kids would think she is fragile and may not want to play with her.

Since that talk her hand "magically" was all better. This reminds me of when she was about 3 and having bad dreams. We could not figure out what was going on, but eventually found out that she had overheard me talking about how I put her ON the dryer when she was baby and mistook that for IN the dryer.

I hope our swim meet doesnt get canceled tonight due to storms. We had no rain for almost 2 months and now we are getting thunderstorms everyday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?