Tuesday, April 10, 2007

 

PR.

PR, is what I will refer to as Puerto rico.

We got up at 5am to catch a 6:40 flight . My dad suprisingly got up with up and took us to the airport. The strange thing is that we came back around 6ish on friday and at that point we had to take a cab. We could have taken our car and parked it, but figured we should leave it. Being passover it was hard to find something to eat at the airport. I had to settle for some yogurt. May not be really kosher for passover, but better than bread items.

The flight was ok. 2+ hours. We arrived and the luggage did take forever, but we knew that. Then we got our cab to our hotel. I had turned in my holiday inn points to stay at the Intercontenental for 2 days. The last day we were staying at the sheraton in Old San juan. (thru priceline, as what else would sandy do :) )
The hotel is on the beach at isle Verda. At 10am they were able to check us in already. WE did not face the beach, but rather the south side. This is the landing path for the airplanes, but the real noise comes from takeoff, which is the opposite direction, Not much you can do about that. We were hungry so we put on our bathing suits and headed to the pool/beach. I needed some shade due to the last few days crispiness on the top of my feet and a few edges. They do have plenty of shade around the pool if you want it. comfortable chairs as well. But good luck finding one!!! Came to find out that people are out at 7am reserving the chairs! I did understand since at least 1/2 of the guests were from NY LOL:). WE ordered expensive hotel food and drink. I had a salad. Hung out until around 3ish and then walked down the street to walgreens and to see what was there. Not a whole lot. The street in front of the hotel is a bit cheesie, with burger king, et al. came back and went to the beach to just sit. FYI, i had brought 2 books down.
Double trouble -- about a twin who fall sin love with her sister's ex. its a bit more than that, but easiest explaination
The 2nd book from the author of the Devil wears Prada. The people you know? I think was the title.. I cant believe I forgot the title. Anyway, I could totally picture the movie from this book. I do tend to do that a bunch. picture the movie from a book.

We then headed for dinner. there was a restaurant at the end of hte beach, right on the ocean. Felix had is mofungo. That is smashed plantains with other stuff. I had ribs (which believe it or not, PR is also known for). I did eat rice. Not completely passover, but had to do something. We made it back in time for American Idol. Believe it or not we fell asleep around 9ish!

Wed-- we rented a car. Got up early and got the car around 7ish. WE drove west . There were tons of cops on the roads. No speeding here. Went to the caves. If you dont get there early, when they open, you may not get the tour. Got there a little after 9am. That was a good tour. Those are hugh caves. AT the caves you can repel somewehre . I wanted to try that being on vacation, but we had other things to do. We then headed south looking for a good roadside stand, but somehow missed it and ended up in Lares to get the ice cream that Felix wanted. We did have to stop to find the center of town. We brought our navigation system, but it wasnt always 100%. Driving thru town, with the narrow roads, scared me. I was afraid felix sideswipe a parked car. reminded me of europe. We found our ice cream place after searching for parking. It has all kind of wierd ice cream flavors, such as beans , garlic, sweet potatoes, etc.
We got to try a few and I opted for strawberry cheesecake.
Afterwards we heard we can buy authentic coffee here, so we went to a small shop and got some for our cat sitters. 4.99/lb. We then headed to the largest observatory. We made a wrong turn getting out of town, and went on this winding road that could barely hold one car, let alone if someone had to come frm the other direction. Luckily the navi did get us back on track from this road. The observatory was interesting, but felix was disappointed that he could nto walk the grounds. Also, to get to it, you have to walk uphill. With his HCM, it was not easy for him.
He took tons of pics. which is his hobby. I was getting bored. THis happened a lot. We would stop somewhere and I would have to wait for him to take his pics. He did end up with over 1500 pics on this part of the trip.
We got done with the observatory and on the way back we went to the bacardi tour. you get free drinks and a free tour. Of course they hope you spend lots of $$$ buying rum. We did buy some, as gifts and a few for us.
We then tried to make it on the other side of san juan but west of where we were staying , to Condado. The problem was that the navi could not get us on the small bridge. We finally figured out a why via the real old fashioned map. I can read a map just fine. I love the Navi, but dont think its the endall that felix thinks. We finally just parked, as parking was hard to come by. We found a place to eat. We actually asked someone that looked like they lived in that neighborhood. This area also has tons of hotels and more places to eat than where we were staying. I had some fish for dinner. The bread looked great, but I did not take any, By this time I think Felix and I were sorting getting on each other's nerves a bit. Anyway, we headed back to turn in the car and back to the hotel. Got back around 9. Asleep before 10.

Teh next morning felix got up early to take pics. I joined him a few min later . The whole time I was tryin to get my laptop to work since the hotel was wireless, but my laptap wireless card was giving me fits. Only in the business center itself would it work after playing with it. I need to fix that. At this point, around 7am, we saw people getting their towels already, so we did so as well and got a decent place to sit. WE walked on the beach and felix took, what else, but pics. There is an old cemetary on the beach. We came back and went across the street for breakfast at this small place. Very reasonable for your std , 2 eggs, potatoes meal. Then we sat around for about 2 hours reading. We also met some people from long island that we talked to.

Around 11ish we checked out. We got a cab to go to our next hotel in old san juan.
Once again, we cfould check in right away. wtih priceline we did not get one of the rooms of the view of the cruiseship ports. This is a great hotel if you are taking a cruise and come in a day before. WE then found the trolley and went to the fort at the top of the hill. I could have walked it, but it was hot and felix and his health. This is where FElix musta taken so many pics. I just sorta sat there after I was done with the fort. I was like, "payback soon--lots of shopping". After he was down we went down each street and did some shopping for the kids and my parents. Stopped somewhere along the way. for lunch and I tried cold fish with onions. cerviche? I did not like it much. Got back to the hotel and relaxed a bit. Then we headed for dinner. this was the night before good friday. There are some cool churches in such a catholic town. It was neat watching the people around the churches. The place we wanted to go to dinner was closed though. we thought because of good friday,, but they are just closed on thursday night. We found another place not far from our hotel . It had been recommended, but it was ok. Interesting people watching though. We did get to sit outside. Got home late and stayed up past 10 that night!

Friday morning. We went back to the fort, but walked this time. WAnted to see if anyone was flying kites. Its a great place for that. The stores were mostly closed. Oh and we did have breakfast at this place that is the PR version of waffle house. Very famous place. I wish I could have eaten something other than eggs though. they have interesting pizza'a at these bakery/eating places. some shops did open eventually. I wanted to go back and get something and luckily that shop opened. we had also checked out, but left our luggage. After all morning we did stop at the restaurant that felix liked that was closed for a small lunch. Next time we really need to do dinner there. I wish I could remember the name. I am really bad with names. Took a cab to the airport and came back. Flight was about 1/2 hour delayed.

Ok. This was long and my fingers hurt from typing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?