Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Alyssa!

That about says it all. I have been trying extremely hard not to yell at her since we got back and to always remain calm with her. But still, she will cry, get angry, etc on teh drop of a hot. The more I think about it, the more I really think she needs additional help. I am going to call someone this week.
Yesterday at teh rink I bumped into someone I knew from Jack's pre-K. We did a few things together with our boys. She has 2 older girls. She has been through a lot with her kids. Her oldest had bully issues with her 4th grader last year, and her daughter, that is a year older than alyssa had ADD and then issues from her meds. She moved her kids to private school and sent her youngest as well this year to kindy there. He is now diagnosed was ADHD and had to also go on meds. He is a new child according to her. He no longer cries and is doing well academically. Which leads me back to Alyssa
I always knew that she had some ADD, in that I have it in some ways. I cannot do just one thing at one time. Also, in a classroom setting I tend to multitask as well, not always concentrating. BUT I am not/was not the emotional basketcase that Alysssa is. By the time I was her age, my tandrums were not every day. I had major self esteem issues, but I dont see that in Alyssa. What does SCARE me is that there is bipolar in my family and Alyssa reminds us of that side of the family in looks as well maybe behavior. It is not normal for an almost 8 year old to get out of control, angry, sad, etc almost everyday about "silly" things. She did this a the rink yesterday when Jack would nto let her "teach him" how to skate. She covered her face with her sweater, stormed off a few times, etc. She even cried. The other moms that I know saw all this. The other thing is that she did have lots of sugar in the morning since the kids took a cooking class that was about treats. I probably need to watch how much processed sugar she is eating in corrolation to how she is behaving. I am sure it makes things worse.
She is not going to have friends if she continues to act this way. That is worrysome. Also, if its bad now, what about when she is a teenager. So I really think I need to get some help for her. At least someone to talk to right now.

ok. enuf on that subject.

Comments:
I know a certain 8yo boy who will cry over stupid things too. At gym last week he was in tears because he didn't get to have a go with the tagging stick. That's what I expect from a 3yo not a nearly 8yo. We get extreme over-reactions too. They tend to be much worse when he's tired though.
 
Thanks for sharing.

Someone recommended that I read "the explosive child" by Dr. Greene. I am going to get it from the library.
 
I took C to a psych this summer/fall because I started to worry about his ups and downs seeming so extreme. The psych seemed to think C was quite normal. He said that con is very, VERY precise. He gets annoyed when others aren't as articulate and precise as him. We also talked a lot about sleeping. C started taking melatonin at night as he was diagnosed as basically not being able to shut off his brain and go to sleep. cycadia rhythem disturbance (or however you spell that). Once he is asleep he sleeps but getting to sleep is very hard for him. He is much happier, and so are we, when he gets enough sleep.
I don't think it hurts to get her evaluated...but our psych actually just released con from treatment becuase he didn't think there was anything he could really do for him, he was deemed normal (if not annoying...which he didn't say but I added).
Joycelyn
 
Ditto to what webfrau said.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?