Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 

Im really not that shallow....

I know I can probably seem "shallow" at times, being into bargain shopping and all (you should have seen the sale at old navy yesterday). Also that I am into pop culture as well. But there is a side of me that sometimes gets interested in more "serious" things.
While on vacation last year my sister in law lent me the book "the other Boleyn girl" This was about the period of Henry the VIII (the king who had 6 wives), and mostly from the viewpoint of the sister of his 2nd wife Anne (who was beheaded eventually). After reading the book I wanted to find out more about all this. So I got the movie "henry VIII". Nothing was really on TV last night (no, I dont watch dancing with the stars), so I watched it. Then this morning I read all about all the monarch's around that period and forward, and how they came to be. Also how they ruled, etc. Also read more on Henry himself and Anne. Boy, they quickly beheaded people back then. no "real" court. Its interesting to see how much church and state was intertwined as well, and how that changed. Henry VIII was the first to challenge this, by wanting an annullment and when the pope said "no" , he said, well "I am the king, so I declare that the pope has no right to tell me what to do. I will pass a law where I can make the decision".

Anyway, I gave myself a fascinating history lesson this morning. I also did manage to solve a customer's problem as well on something I know little about. Lucky for me, it turns out he was running an old version.

Busy rest of week. Today is activity day. Tomorrow is dad's for donuts. Friday is science day and jack's bday. Sat late afternoon is his party, but earlier Alyssa has a playdate at the rink with her old best friend. Sunday I am trying to have lunch with a friend who is one of the few that is still single.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?